Gingerbread Cookie Recipe
My friend Erin, who has a home goods company called Cotton & Flax, recently asked me to make some gingerbread cookies for her Fall/Winter photoshoot. I thought it would be fun to share the recipe with all of you, just in time for holiday baking.
Perfectly paired with spiced cider, recipe coming soon! (Triangle Cocktail Napkins)
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, room temperature
- 1/3 c dark brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 c molasses
- 1 large egg
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, spices, baking soda, and salt; set aside. With a stand or hand mixer, beat butter and sugar together until smooth.
- Beat in molasses and egg. With mixer on low, add dry ingredients. Place doughplastic wrap; pat into an 8-inch square. Wrap well; chill until firm, 1 to 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough out to 1/8" thick, occasionally moving around dough to prevent sticking, only adding flour as much as you need it. Cut out shapes with cookie cutters and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Once your baking sheet is full, place in freezer for 5-10 minutes until stiff.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes until firm and edges begin to darken. Let cool completely then decorate or store in airtight container.