I recently had a request to make egg free, dairy free carrot cupcakes and they were a hit with vegans and non vegans alike. Many were requesting the recipe on my instagram (make sure you're following me there as I update that more often) which I am happy to share.
Now, this isn't your typical carrot cake. A lot of the fat is replaced with applesauce and there isn't a lot of sugar in them. They are more like carrot muffins than a cake. But it doesn't mean that they're not good! Also, once they're frosted you don't really want them too sweet anyway. I frosted these with a vanilla buttercream made with earth balance, powdered sugar, a bit of almond milk, and vanilla extract. No recipe, just kept whipping until I got to a flavor and consistency I liked.
It's very important that you let these cupcakes cool completely. I've had them straight out of the oven and they're sort of a gummy mess. Letting them cool the crumb dry out a bit to have a nicer texture. I've even left them overnight in the fridge and on the counter and they've both been delicious.
Lastly, feel free to add any additional spices you like. Cloves, more cinnamon, vanilla extract. You can also replace some of the liquid with crushed pineapple, if that's your thing. Let me know what you think!
- 1 1/4 c all purpose flour
- 1/2 c sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 T (1/4 c + 2 tbsp) unsweetened applesauce
- 2 T oil
- 3/4 c non dairy milk (almond, coconut, etc)
- 1/3 c raisins
- 1/3 c walnuts
- 2 c grated carrots
- Preheat oven to 350° F and prepare a muffin tin with 12 cupcake liners.
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk oil, applesauce, and non dairy milk.
- Add wet to dry, then fold in carrots, raisins and walnuts. Do not overmix.
- Bake at 350° for 15-18 minutes, until a skewer comes out clean.
- Let cool for a few minutes then remove from pan. Cupcakes are best eaten fully cooled or else they will be slightly gummy.