A few days ago I came across a group in Australia called the Canberra Cake Club. I was immediately intrigued by the name (obviously) and had to find out more. Turns out it's exactly what it sounds like: a club where members bring cake to share and enjoy! Of course, the next logical step was to ask Twitter what they thought, and now a Los Angeles Cake Club is in the works. The club will meet every month or so (perhaps every other month) and everyone is asked to bring a small cake or dessert, a container to take home others' creations, and a positive attitude :) Follow along on twitter for more updates: LACakeClub. Once I get things going (soon, I promise!) An events page will be set up so you can RSVP and receive the location.
- - - - -
For this week's cake I decided not to make something gluten free/sugar free/dairy free. Many people get turned off by these words so I thought I'd try making something a little more approachable. With citrus season in full swing I decided to make a wholesome meyer lemon cake. Whole wheat flour and cornmeal were used to give the cake some heft and texture, but rest assured there is still enough butter and sugar to satisfy your sweet tooth. I topped off the cake with candied lemon slices which could not be easier to make. Simply slice your lemons and simmer them in simple syrup (1:1 ratio) for about 30 min to 1 hour. To make the cake more visually appealing I dusted it with the slightest bit of powdered sugar.
On a more somber note, this cake is dedicated to an acquaintance of mine that I met a couple years ago. We had only met a few times but instantly bonded over kale, sauerkraut, kombucha, and SQIRL. Unfortunately I just learned that she recently passed away from cervical cancer. While we were not close, anyone that has met her can attest for her upbeat attitude and inspiring outlook on life. She was a beam of light and happiness, and I hope this cake does her justice. This one is for you, Lauren!
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1/4 c sugar
- 1/2 c whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 c cornmeal
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- juice and zest of 1/2 lemon
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease 6" cake pan and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk dry ingredients together (flour, cornmeal, baking powder).
- In a separate bowl, beat together butter, sugar, and lemon juice and zest until light and fluffy. Add a third of the flour mixture and mix together until just combined. Beat in 1 egg until thickened, then continue alternating with flour and egg one more time, ending with flour.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Let cool then garnish with candied lemon and a dusting of powdered sugar.