Almond Berry Friands - Gluten Free, Refined Sugar Free
The recipe is really a cinch to put together. You don't even have to brown the butter, but it does add a lot of flavor. Best of all, you can make the batter ahead of time and store it in the fridge until you're ready. My version is slightly more healthful, using wholesome ingredients like almond meal, oat flour, and only maple syrup as a sweetener.
If you make this recipe, let me know you think!
- 5 (150g) egg whites
- 1 cup (87g) almond flour
- 1/2 cup (48g) oat flour
- 6 tbsp (85 g) browned butter
- 4-6 tbsp maple syrup
- berries, fresh or frozen (thawed)
- Preheat oven to 350° F and grease a mini muffin tin (or equivalent).
- In a large bowl, whisk egg whites just enough to loosen them up a bit. No need to whip them into peaks or anything like that. You just want to unravel the protein strands.
- Add almond flour, oat flour, butter, and maple syrup. Whisk together until no lumps remain.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and top each off with berries. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until set. Let cool in pan then remove. To serve, garnish with a dusting of powdered sugar.