Chocolate Custard Muffins
Adapted from Dan Lepard's Chocolate custard muffins.
Makes 12 standard muffins.
50 g corn starch
3 tbsp dutch process cocoa
100 g brown sugar
225 ml water
75 g butter, cubed
125 g dark chocolate, broken into pieces
75 ml vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla
2 large eggs
125 g raw cane sugar
125 g all purpose flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
chocolate custard(see recipe below)
additional chocolate chips or cacao nibs (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, whisk together cornstarch, cocoa powder, brown sugar, and water. Keep whisking until a smooth and thick custard forms. Remove from heat and mix in butter and chocolate until melted.
3. Add oil, vanilla, and eggs and whisk until thoroughly combined. Add sugar and whisk again.
4. Sift flour and baking powder directly into saucepan and mix until just combined.
5. Scoop batter into muffin tins until they are filled halfway. Place a dollop of chocolate custard into the center of each muffin and cover up with more batter until 3/4 full.
6. Sprinkle with chocolate chips or cacao nibs (optional). Bake for 25 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes then invert onto cooling rack.
Chocolate Custard Filling
Adapted from Dan Lepard's apple, walnut and custard cake.
Makes enough custard to fill 12 standard muffins.
175 ml milk
1 tsp vanilla
50 g brown sugar
2 tbsp corn starch
1 medium egg
3 tbsp cocoa powder
1/4 c chocolate chips
1. In a small saucepan over medium heat, mix together milk, brown sugar, corn starch, egg, and cocoa powder. Keep whisking until a thick custard forms.
2. Remove from heat and stir in chocolate chips until melted. Spread into a small/medium sized bowl and refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes.